Monday, March 8, 2010

Kiss it better

Lyla: Sorry mama, I broke the windmill. (plastic pinwheel blowy thing)

me: OK baby, I'll look at it when we stop, I'm driving right now.

Lyla: I think it's really broken...

me: Alright, we're here, let's have a look.

I turn around and she's looking sadly at the two pieces in her hand. I can see that it's an easy fix and suddenly I'm blown away by the fact that I can instantly make her happy, I'll take the windmill, stick the plastic bit back in the hole and it will work again. I do it and her face lights up, she's blowing, it's spinning around. This is the joy of a young child...I can make it better. One day her boyfriend will dump her, or her best friend will find someone else she likes better or she won't get into the university she wants and I'll have to find another, more clever way of helping her feel better. Right now I can stick two plastic pieces back together and I'm a hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment